Playwrights' Week, The Lark’s Open Access Program, seeks to provide development opportunities for new and diverse voices for the theater by identifying and advancing promising plays that reveal unheard and vital perspectives. This annual, intensive, seven-day festival is designed to foster a peer-based community among a cohort of writers with new work in development.
Our support criteria emphasizes ambitious, fresh, playful, engaging, energizing, provocative, powerful and theatrical work by writers with clear artistic goals who are open to a collaborative development process.
The five writers selected for Playwrights’ Week are provided with twelve hours of rehearsal and a public staged reading to address self-defined developmental goals for their plays, as well as opportunities to engage with fellow participants in supportive group conversation.
- Playwrights’ Week 2020 will take place in November 2020.
- Each applicant should expect a final response by September 2020.
- While there is no official minimum number of pages for submitted full-length plays, we do not accept 10-minute plays or musicals.
- Previously produced plays ARE eligible for consideration.
- Plays previously submitted to this program are accepted, but we strongly encourage the submission of new work.
- Writers living outside of the United States can apply if the script was originally written in English.
- Due to the volume of submissions to this program, we will be unable to accept revised scripts during the selection process.
- Housing and travel will be provided for all out of town writers.